Saturday, June 12, 2010

rock top what?





I realize that this is slightly turning into a blog about food, BUT I am in New York City and there are so many wonderful places to eat! Here's the latest:

Chocolate By the Bald Man: Suggested to us by a random man who heard us talking about Crumbs. We decided to stop by on our way home from work on Thursday to grab something sweet for later on. We walked in expecting it to be a bakery or a candy store, and were surprised to find it is an actual restaurant. Since the only thing waiting at home was laundry, we decided to get a table and share a dessert. We got a dessert pizza with chocolate, marshmallows, and peanut butter, and it was just as good as it sounds. All of the food looked and smelled wonderful, so we plan to go back there for a meal sometime.

Papaya Dog: These are everywhere, and we finally went there on Friday night for some dirty late night food. They have hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, french fries, etc. It's so cheap, and so good!

La Palapa: We stumbled upon this place in the East Village. It's an open-air Mexican restaurant with really wonderful quesadillas.

On Friday, Kathryn and I headed to Hoboken, NJ to visit Carlo's Bake Shop (from the show Cake Boss on TLC). It only took about 20 minutes to get there and it was definitely a nice change of scenery for the day. Unfortunately, we had to stand in line for over an hour just to get into the place, but it was well worth it. They had a pretty good system going and our numbers got called really quickly once we were inside. Almost too quickly. I'm not good at making decisions, especially at a place like this! I ended up getting two little pastries and a miniature chocolate cake, which was completely melted by the time we got home. Eleanor helped me eat it out of the bottom of the box with a spoon. Sadly, we didn't get to see Buddy on our trip to his bakery, but we did see "Little Frankie" who is Buddy's cousin and appears on the show quite a bit.

Friday night, we got all dressed up and headed to Stanton Social with all of our roommates. The deal with this place is everything is really small, and you are supposed to order two or three things per person. Everyone orders one thing, they bring all of them, everyone shares, and then you order more. It's a neat idea--- if you're rich. We all got one thing (about $13-$16 a plate), and they looked at us like we were crazy and knew we weren't locals. After dinner, we walked around the East Village trying to decide where we should venture to for the rest of the night. There are six girls total, and I am heading up the back. All of the sudden, I look up and I see this giant, drugged out of his mind, homeless man walking straight towards me. Once again, the indecisiveness kicks in and I'm thinking, should I go left, should I go right, is he going left, is he going right.... andddd he proceeds to run directly into me, causing me to fall to the ground and my platform shoes to go flying. Then he yells and curses at me. Assuming I would look up to my friends in horror of what they had seen, I realize that they are still walking and have no idea what has just occurred. I was a little shocked, and then it was funny, and now it's REALLY funny. My mom didn't think it was funny.

Me, Kathryn, Isabel, and Alex spent today at Sidebar watching the World Cup. Kathryn requested for the DJ to play, yes, ROCKY TOP. He didn't understand what she was saying, so she had to actually type it into the computer for him. He played it, and we sang it, and everyone looked at him-and us-like we were crazy. He turned it off after about 30 seconds and prayed that he wouldn't lose his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment